PaulDotCom mailing list archives

best way to run graphical BT4 from a server

From: cclymer at gmail.com (cclymer)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:43:03 -0400

I'm still running vmware for my workstation(fusion) and will likely be
using it on my new server as well (ESXI).  Why?  While the points about
Xen are all very good ones and Id much prefer to support open source
software, at the end of the day I've decided that for my purposes vmware
is just easier to work with.

If anyone provides you with a VM, chances are good that it will have
been made by vmware.  A great example is SANS courses which will often
provide pre-built VMware images with all the tools.  While the other
virtualization tools _can_ open these files as well, my experience was
that it was less reliable, and as you got into more complicated
configurations issues started to arise.

while Xen is extremely powerful, vmware is a lot quicker to get up and
running, and a lot easier to build a virtual lab in.  If I were building
production VMs where performance would be a big concern Id look a lot
harder at Xen.  For a home lab to hack in I care a lot more about ease
of getting up and running, and not spending a lot of time dorking around
with the configs.  Its been a couple of years since I ran Xen, but at
the time it was defintely a _lot_ more work than throwing up any vmware
product ive used.

Virtualbox, as others have said, is to me the open source worlds version
of vmware workstation.  I'd be disinclined to run it on a server,
however if thats what youve been using and have plenty of VMs made in
it, there probably isnt a compelling reason _not_ to use it for your
home lab unless you really intend to have a dozen live VMs up at a time.
For a backtrack image and a single target really any solution is going
to do just fine performance wise.