Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [GSOC] Porting Zenmap to Android

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:01:42 +0100

W dniu 07.03.2015 o 23:18, Michał Zieliński pisze:
I have missed that porting Zenmap to Qt would also require porting
Radialnet. So I have re-evaluated my proposal.

I will rewrite most of Zenmap functionality (except Radialnet) using
zenmapCore and PyQt while keeping Gtk version untouched. The app UI will be
targeted for smartphones and tablets, but will be also runnable on desktop,
so it could in future replace original Gtk Zenmap.

This might still seem to be too big task for GSoC, but keep in mind that
rewriting existing application is much easier than writing it from scratch.

What do you think of this? Is having two versions of GUI (Gtk and Qt based)
acceptable?

I have only briefly skimmed Zenmap source, it seemed rather small (12k LOC
in zenmapGUI). I'll look closer and see how much can be done during GSoC.

Hello Michał,

Just curious - how feasible would it be to implement such a mobile Qt
Zenmap-like tool in Python? This way perhaps it could share some of the
code with Zenmap and NDiff XML routines we already have.

As for functionality, I remember this Android project called Fing - if I
recall correctly it didn't have that many functions, so it could be a
good starting point.

Cheers,
Jacek