Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [GSOC] Porting Zenmap to Android

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 22:30:08 -0700

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Michał Zieliński <michal () zielinscy org pl>
wrote:

I have missed that porting Zenmap to Qt would also require porting
Radialnet. So I have re-evaluated my proposal.

I will rewrite most of Zenmap functionality (except Radialnet) using
zenmapCore and PyQt while keeping Gtk version untouched. The app UI will be
targeted for smartphones and tablets, but will be also runnable on desktop,
so it could in future replace original Gtk Zenmap.

This might still seem to be too big task for GSoC, but keep in mind that
rewriting existing application is much easier than writing it from scratch.

What do you think of this? Is having two versions of GUI (Gtk and Qt
based) acceptable?

Hi Michał. We will consider all applications and strategies as long as the
argument made in the application is compelling enough.  However, I'm a bit
skeptical that we'd want to rewrite Zenmap from scratch and maintain both
(at least for a while).  So I'd suggest your best bet is either:

1) Propose porting Zenmap to Qt.  A key is to research and note the
benefits of such a port.  An example is explaining why it might be better
for mobile devices running Android or iOS.  This is likely a big
undertaking on its own, so I'd probably make this the whole goal.  If you
go into the mobile device porting thing at all, maybe not it as a stretch
goal in case you have time after finishing the Qt port.  But it's fine to
apply for just the Qt port and then perhaps you or someone else could come
next year to support mobile with the new Qt version.  Zenmap itself is a
program which was initially built over numerous years of GSoC.

2) Propose writing a small Qt Nmap mobile frontend which aims to be easy to
use on a mobile device while retaining Nmap's most important features.  But
it would still only have a tiny subset of what Zenmap supports.  And the UI
would be meant to work well on a small touch screen up to maybe a tablet.
Preferably it would work on Android and iOS.  This means we'd have a 2nd UI
(besides Zenmap) to develop and maintain, but having it be as small and
simple as practical makes that easier.

Cheers,
Fyodor