Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [GSOC] Porting Zenmap to Android

From: sefa saygın <sefa_ts61_ () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:23:22 +0200

Please don't sent email !!

iPhone'umdan gönderildi

5 Mar 2015 tarihinde 17:14 saatinde, Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com> şunları yazdı:

W dniu 05.03.2015 o 15:47, Michał Zieliński pisze:
Hi everyone!

I'm interested in submitting proposal based on idea "Nmap and Zenmap on
Mobile Devices (Android and iOS)".

As a first step, I would make Zenmap use PyQt instead of GTK. Then I would
use pyqtdeploy (or similar library) to create application package for
Android. The application would optionally use Superuser to perform scans
requiring elevated permissions on rooted devices.

The same approach would work on iOS, thought I don't have any iOS devices
nor experience in porting for iOS.

I'd be happy to hear what you think about this approach.

P.S. I have quite a lot of experience porting applications to Android. For
example, I have ported Freeciv (
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.org.zielinscy.freeciv ,
https://github.com/zielmicha/freeciv-android), the mobile UI is written in
Python using SDL2, game logic is written in C.

Here's Daniel Miller's opinion, as seen on #nmap:

15:57:20         d33tah $ bonsaiviking: i really like the idea of
porting zenmap to qt.
15:59:37   bonsaiviking $ qt vs gtk seems like a holy war
15:59:50   bonsaiviking $ I just know it would be a  massive project
16:00:14   bonsaiviking $ because we then have to retool the windows and
os x installers
16:00:39   bonsaiviking $ I'm not saying it couldn't be done, I just
don't feel motivated to be involved :)
16:01:13         d33tah $ bonsaiviking: ability to port to android
sounds like a good argument, isn't it?
16:01:31   bonsaiviking $ Yes, but I don't know all the tradeoffs
involved there.
16:01:56   bonsaiviking $ Would it be efficient? How much more or less
work is involved either way?
16:01:58         d33tah $ would you be more interested in a project
targeting only android, so you wouldn't need as much retooling?
16:02:36         d33tah $ bonsaiviking: the way i understand it, there's
no way to run gtk apps on android.
16:02:52   bonsaiviking $ Maybe, but still we'd have to do the analysis.
Jumping in without considering alternatives and ramifications is asking
for trouble.