Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Big Zenmap news

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:51:11 -0600

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:48:06PM +0100, jah wrote:
On 26/08/2008 06:37, David Fifield wrote:
Do you get the crash if you edit zenmapCore/Nmap.py and change the
Unicode strings to plain strings? So change

APP_NAME = u"zenmap"

APP_NAME = "zenmap"

for all the strings. If so then the problem isn't Vladimir's fault, it's
something I did to try to fix the database file not being found on
Windows.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q3/0482.html
I changed these strings in zenmapCore/Name.py and it builds without
error.  So it looks like you're right.  I haven't looked into this in
any great detail, but there's mention here [1] that this error could be
thrown upon the attempt to decode an already unicode string as unicode -
which seems to make sense since the files are marked with utf-8.

Anyway once that error was out of the way, upon running zenmap.exe I got:
CRASH REPORTED:
SYS.PLATFORM: win32
OS.NAME: nt
Zenmap Version: 4.68
TRACEBACK:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "zenmap", line 100, in <module>
  File "zenmapGUI\App.pyo", line 139, in run
  File "zenmapGUI\App.pyo", line 83, in is_root
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'getuid'

Which I fixed by swapping the tests for os.getuid() and sys.platform in
is_root so that the test for windows came first:

return os.getuid() == 0 or sys.platform == "win32" or is_maemo()

return sys.platform == "win32" or os.getuid() == 0 or is_maemo()

Thanks, I applied it. This had already been done in r9446 but because
the test was moved to a different file it because a casualty of the
merge.

David Fifield