Nmap Development mailing list archives

Big Zenmap news

From: Vladimir Mitrovic <snipe714 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 03:53:00 +0200

Hi all,

I'm very happy to announce a couple of important Zenmap changes that David and I worked hard to implement:

- The network inventory
- Graphical topology visualization

I have compiled an explanation with an example scenario and screenshots at http://zenmap-soc08.blogspot.com/2008/08/inventory-and-topology.html.

If you don't have time to read through that post (but I suggest you do, it has eyecandy!), here's a quick snippet:

The network inventory is a new concept that allows you to run many scans from inside one Zenmap window, and view all results as if they were a part of one "big" scan. Each host's information is updated every time a scan targeting it has finished executing. This is done carefully, keeping host information from previous scans if the new scan doesn't discover anything new about the host.

Graphical topology visualization is achieved by integrating RadialNet into Zenmap. Every time you run a traceroute scan (nmap --traceroute ...), the network topology (accessible from the "Topology" tab) gets updated.

Also, the tab interface has been removed (in an ongoing clutter-removal effort), since many scans can now reside inside a single Zenmap window, which represents an inventory.

But enough talking:

svn co --username guest --password "" svn://svn.insecure.org/zenmap
cd zenmap
./zenmap &

Cheers,
Vladimir