Nmap Development mailing list archives

What would we want in a new Netcat/Hping?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:36:32 -0700

Netcat has been totally unmaintained for about a decade, and I think
Nmap users would benefit from a tool similar to hping2 that is more
oriented toward their needs.  These have been on my wishlist for
years, but I haven't had time to write them.  Enter the Summer of
Code!  Lets take this opportunity to create something cool and useful!

We've had the long debates on what we want on an Nmap GUI.  What would
you guys like to see in Ncat/Nping.

I'm thinking IPv6, TCP/UDP redirection, SSL, portability, inetd-like
shell/app spawning, connection IP/netblock limiting, connection
brokering so that N hosts behind a NAT can connect into the netcat hots
and talk to each other, simple HTTP and/or SOCKS proxy support, MAC
address spoofing, user mode connect() and udp pings, and more.  I've
written up a requirements doc here:
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/SoC/Ncat.html

If any of you have ideas you have always wanted to see implemented in
Netcat (or Hping), now is your chance to speak up!  Or if you think my
ideas would lead to a horrid, bloated product, you can say that too.
But keep in mind that we aren't "replacing" the originals.  Just
adding a new interpretation.  And we'll be naming the programs
differently (probably ncat nd nping) so that you can install them
without confusing your users or harming your existing nc/hping
install.

Oh, and if you want a chance to be paid to write this or one of the
other projects, you better apply NOW.  The deadline has technically
passed (at midnight PST), but the application page is still up.

Cheers,
Fyodor