Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: nmap+V

From: "Max" <nmap () webwizarddesign com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 18:50:20 +0500

Hi,

    My two cents :P opinion and a question all in one.  Where should the
    line be drawn between what nmap should do / does and what tools that
    use nmap should do?  This is something easily done/implemented in
    a higher level language .. I have a base banner grabber class
    implemented in my Nmap::Scanner package.  Maintenance-wise,
    providing this functionality through a scripting language means
    easier updates/enhancements.

    It is pretty trivial to do this kind of thing using a parsing
    module like mine or another XML nmap backend that has recently
    been released to CPAN .. which was inspired by my module (according
    to him) but takes a different, more lightweight, approach to the whole
    parsing process and is definitely worthwhile to check out for those of
    you interested in nmap output processors.

    Parse::Nmap::XML (Anthony Persaud)

    The point of all this, again, is:
    *  Where is the line between core functionality and add-on functionality?
    *  Is it better to add this kind of thing to the core of nmap or should
       it be left for more RAD types of languages and output processors and
       be kept out of the core?

    I have been able to write Nmap diff scripts, nmap -> db persistence
    scripts, nmap scan graphers, and nmap banner grabbers in 20-30 lines of
    perl code (for each) using my own module and other CPAN modules
    (Text::Diff, DBI, DBD, etc).  The example scripts in my Nmap::Scanner
    distro show some of this functionality.

    Yes, an output processor will not match the performance of having nmap
    do it all, but that is the trade off .. easier maintenance, greater
    coder base, smaller core code base, with some speed losses and some
    workarounds that need to be done in the output processors because they
    are outside of the core.

    I am not saying I have an answer to this question .. personally I would
    prefer to do such kinds of higher-level functions in a higher level
    language, but that is just me :).

Regards,
Max