Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: nmap+V

From: "testic" <testic () btinternet com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 01:30:12 +0100

Service detection certainly belongs within Nmap itself, for the very reasons
Fyodor pointed out. If service detection were to be implemented into Nmap
what level of detail would we be talking about? Would it for instance say

"Port 1234 is running a HTTP server"

or would it say

"Port 1234 is running a HTTP server (Apache1.2.3)" ?

I think simply being able to tell which protocol is running on a certain
port is sufficient, certainly for my own purposes. Although being able to
determine software versions are running would be very nice indeed. But I
imagine being able to tell between various FTP servers would be tricky and
require some quite complex jiggery-pokery.

As regards Max's point about having seperated 'modules' I think it would be
good to be able to download the latest OS fingerprints file, for example,
without having to download the entire package.

testic