nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lossy cogent p2p experiences?

From: Benny Lyne Amorsen <benny+usenet () amorsen dk>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 09:31:31 +0200

Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> writes:

    set interfaces ae2 aggregated-ether-options load-balance per-packet

I ran per-packet on a Juniper LAG 10 years ago. It produced 100%
perfect traffic distribution. But the reordering was insane, and the
applications could not tolerate it.

Unfortunately that is not strict round-robin load balancing. I do not
know about any equipment that offers actual round-robin
load-balancing.

Juniper's solution will cause way too much packet reordering for TCP to
handle. I am arguing that strict round-robin load balancing will
function better than hash-based in a lot of real-world
scenarios.