nanog mailing list archives

RE: Lossy cogent p2p experiences?

From: Brian Turnbow via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:27:14 +0000

If you applications can tolerate reordering, per-packet is fine. In the public
Internet space, it seems we aren't there yet.

Yeah  this
During lockdown here in Italy one day we started getting calls about performance issues performance degradation, vpns
dropping or becoming unusable, and general randomness of this isn't working like it used to.
All the lines checked out, no bandwidth contention etc  only strange thing we found was all affected sessions had a lot
of OOR packets with a particular network in Italy.
With them we traced it down to traffic flowing through one  IXP and found they had added capacity between two switches
and it had been configured with per packet balancing.
It was changed to flow based balancing and  everything went back to normal.

Brian