nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lossy cogent p2p experiences?

From: Tom Beecher <beecher () beecher cc>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:52:17 -0400

Unless you specifically configure true "per-packet" on your LAG:

Well, not exactly the same thing. (But it's my mistake, I was referring to
L3 balancing, not L2 interface stuff.)

load-balance per-packet will cause massive reordering, because it's random
spray , caring about nothing except equal loading of the members. It's a
last resort option that will cause tons of reordering. (And they call that
out quite clearly in docs.) If you don't care about reordering it's great.

load-balance adaptive generally did a decent enough job last time I used it
much. stateful was hit or miss ; sometimes it tested amazing, other times
not so much. But it wasn't a primary requirement so I never dove into why