nanog mailing list archives

RE: Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 10:49:59 +0100

From: Saku Ytti
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 6:26 AM

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 01:17, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu> wrote:

Yes, we all love less state, I won't argue that. But it's the same question
that is being asked less and less with each passing year - what scales better in
2020, OSPF or IS-IS. That is becoming less relevant as control planes keep
getting faster and cheaper.

I don't think it ever was relevant.

In 99% of cases, there are cases however where supporting 1M+ routes in IGP is one of the viable options to consider,
or running multi-100k of LSPs through a core node...
But these are core MPLS networks that have no boundaries cause these literally wrap around the globe, and access to
custom code.

adam