nanog mailing list archives

Re: Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

From: James Bensley <jwbensley+nanog () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 19:37:15 +0100

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 18:08, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu> wrote:

Hi all.

When the whole SR concept was being first dreamed up, I was mildly excited about it. But then real life happened and
global deployment (be it basic SR-MPLS or SRv6) is what it is, and I became less excited. This was back in 2015.

All the talk about LDPv6 this and last week has had me reflecting a great deal on where we are, as an industry, in
why we are having to think about SR and all its incarnations.

So, let me be the one that stirs up the hornets' nest...

Why do we really need SR? Be it SR-MPLS or SRv6 or SRv6+?

I am clearly very far behind on my emails, but of the emails I've read
so far in this thread though you have mentioned at least twice: