nanog mailing list archives

RE: Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 12:23:57 +0100

From: NANOG <nanog-bounces () nanog org> On Behalf Of Mark Tinka
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 8:13 AM

There are probably as many networks running SR-MPLS as there are running
LDPv6, likely fewer if your SR deployment doesn't yet support OSPFv3 or SR-
ISISv6. I concede that for some networks looking to go SR-MPLS, label
distribution state reduction is probably higher up on the agenda than
MPLSv6 forwarding. For me, I'd like the option to have both, and decide
whether my network is in a position to handle the additional state required
for LDPv6, if I feel that I'd prefer to deal with a protocol that has had more
exposure to the sun.

You do have the LDP vs SR choice (in v4 anyways) yes there's not a good 1:1 feature parity with v6, but the important
point is the current state is not the end state, this is a pretty dynamic industry that I'm sure is converging/evolving
towards a v4:v6 parity, however the pace may be, which is understandable considering the scope of ground to be covered.
Yes you're right in acknowledging that we're not living in a perfect world and that choices are limited, but it's been
like that since ever yet we managed to thrive by analysing our options and striving for optimal strategies year by
year.

adam