nanog mailing list archives

RE: Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 22:07:26 +0100

From: NANOG <nanog-bounces () nanog org> On Behalf Of Mark Tinka
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 6:07 PM

I've heard a lot about "network programmability", e.t.c.,
First of all the "SR = network programmability" is BS, SR = MPLS, any programmability we've had for MPLS since ever
works the same way for SR.

but can anyone
point me toward a solution that actually does this in the way that it has been
touted for years? A true flow that shows the implementation of "network
programming" over any incarnation of SR? Perhaps one a customer can go to
the shop and grab off the shelf?

Yes anything that works for RSVP-TE (i.e. PCEP), if you want to play there's this free app on top of ODL(acting as
PCEP+BGP-LS) to program LSPs (can't recall the name).

I've heard about "end-to-end service chaining" as a use-case for SR.
"service chaining" = traffic-engineering, you can do that with or without SR just fine.

service-chain what?
To service-chain DC or as hipsters call it "cloud" stuff. To TE path from VM to FW to ...whatever, or to TE mice flows
around elephant flows.

Classic telco's don't offer complex over-the-top services
They do via telco cloud.

What problems are 90% of the
operators running MPLS having that SR will truly fix,

None,
The same point I was trying to get across in our LDPv6 (or any v6 in control-plane or management plane for that matter)
discussion, there's no problem to solve.
Personally I'll be doing SR only in brand new greenfield deployments or if I start running out of RSVP-TE scale on
existing deployments.

adam