nanog mailing list archives

Re: Partial vs Full tables

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 10:37:29 -0700

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 10:30 AM Tore Anderson <tore () fud no> wrote:
In the end I felt that running in production with the RIB and the FIB
perpetually out of sync was too much of a hack, something that I would
likely come to regret at a later point in time. That approach never
made it out of the lab.

Speak of which, did anyone ever implement FIB compression? I seem to
remember the calculations looked really favorable for the leaf node
use case (like James') where the router sits at the edge with a small
number of more or less equivalent upstream transits. The FIB is the
expensive memory. The RIB sits in the cheap part of the hardware.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin