nanog mailing list archives

RE: Partial vs Full tables

From: Michael Hare via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 16:30:59 +0000

Saku-

In internal network, instead of having a default route in iBGP or IGP,
you should have the same loopback address in every full DFZ router and
advertise that loopback in IGP. Then non fullDFZ routers should static
route default to that loopback, always reaching IGP closest full DFZ
router.

Just because DFZ role device can advertise loopback unconditionally in IGP doesn't mean the DFZ actually has a valid
eBGP or iBGP session to another DFZ.  It may be contrived but could this not be a possible way to blackhole nearby
PEs..?

We currently take a full RIB and I am currently doing full FIB.  I'm currently choosing to create a default aggregate
for downstream default-only connectors based on something like

     from {
        protocol bgp;
        as-path-group transit-providers;
        route-filter 0.0.0.0/0 prefix-length-range /8-/10;
        route-type external;
    }

Of course there is something functionally equivalent for v6.  I have time series data on the count of routes
contributing to the aggregate which helps a bit with ease of mind of default being pulled when it shouldn't be.  Like
all tricks of this type I recognize this is susceptible to default being synthesized when it shouldn't be.

I'm considering an approach similar to Tore's blog where at some point I keep the full RIB but selectively populate the
FIB.  Tore, care to comment on why you decided to filter the RIB as well?

-Michael