nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Pain Experiment

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 23:37:42 -0700

On Oct 8, 2019, at 02:29 , Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp> wrote:

Owen DeLong wrote:

Separation between address and port is vague.
Explain that to ICMP packets.

Why do you think ICMP any different?

Just as usual IP packets, inner IP packets contained in
ICMPv4 error packets contain port numbers just after IP headers.

Show me the port number in a type 8 or type 0 packet.

Moreover, unlike stupid ICMPv6, ICMPv4 error packets are
guaranteed to contain 8B of inner packet payload (enough
for 32 bit port number) after IP header.

You’re selecting a very limited subset of ICMP that happens to
contain a portion of a packet that happens to contain a port
number (or two).

If we're going to replace TCP and UDP, initiate
the link with a name (e.g. dns name),

The point of TCP use IP address for identification is hosts
can confirm IP address is true by 3 way handshaking.
And UDP?

Applications over UDP may or may not confirm by 3 way
handshaking or some other mechanism.

That's UDP.

Yes, but the context in which you proposed this as a be-all
end-all solution doesn’t allow for the existing things that brea
when you make the assumptions you’ve obviously made.

That's very elementary explanations on ICMP and UDP.

Yes, thanks for yet another condescending comment proving that
you completely missed the point of my post. It’s always a pleasure.

Owen