nanog mailing list archives

RE: IPv6 Pain Experiment

From: Michel Py <michel.py () tsisemi com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 18:34:28 +0000

William Herrin wrote :
I want to divert from the current flame war to make my biennial semi-serious reminder that it was at least
theoretically possible to
expand the IPv4 address space rather than make a whole new protocol. That we did not do so was a failure of
imagination.
http://bill.herrin.us/network/ipxl.html

That could have worked. Eventually, some form of IPv4 with "just" more bits could surface, but it will take a decade or
more.
When did you write this ? I read it before, just can't remember how long ago.

Michel.

TSI Disclaimer:  This message and any files or text attached to it are intended only for the recipients named above and
contain information that may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
forward, copy, use or otherwise disclose this communication or the information contained herein. In the event you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, and then delete all
copies of it from your system. Thank you!...