nanog mailing list archives

Re: 44/8

From: Matt Harris <matt () netfire net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:06:49 -0500

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:54 AM John Curran <jcurran () arin net> wrote:

As stated before, ARIN did receive and process a request from the 44/8
registrant to transfer a portion of the block to another party.

For all transfer requests, we review and confirm:

- That the source of the transfer is the legal entity which holds the
rights to the address block in the registry
- That the transfer is authorized by an registered officer of that legal
entity
- That the recipient org has approval per policy to receive an address
block of the appropriate size

You may have other questions that are better referred to the registrant
(Amateur Radio Digital Communications); e.g. regarding why the request was
made –
I will note that the contact information for the block is current in the
Whois database, and available at <
https://search.arin.net/rdap/?query=44.0.0.0>

Hey John,
I think perhaps the relevant questions for ARIN here are:

1> How did the organization currently holding the rights to the 44/8 block
come to hold those rights, and how did ARIN verify that it held those
rights?
2> Did ARIN ensure that the establishment of an ARIN RSA for the 44/8 block
did not violate any prior agreements related to the stewardship of the 44/8
block? If so, how was this done?
3> What were the terms under which the rights to the 44/8 block was held by
said organization prior to the establishment of an ARIN RSA?
4> When was an ARIN RSA established which covered the 44/8 block?

The bigger question here is how we got to the point where an organization
with virtually no transparency came to hold the legal rights to a community
asset without any sort of oversight or contractual obligations with regard
to management of said resource. Ultimately that means figuring out if the
legacy agreements by which 44/8 was held by the organization did indeed
include encumberences on the sale or transfer of the space (which would
make sense, if I am giving stewardship of a large community asset to an
organization, I'm going to include stipulations about what they can't do
with it, and selling it to a for-profit entity for cash is going to be #1
on that list.)

Thanks,
Matt