nanog mailing list archives

Re: 44/8

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 22:52:54 -0700

On Jul 18, 2019, at 21:31 , Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 12:28 AM Bryan Fields <Bryan () bryanfields net> wrote:

On 7/18/19 11:56 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
Sure,but... that space has been an internet telescope supporting
numerous research folk for a decade + (probably closer to 2 decades).
the amazon prefix is longer by a bit so won't really use the /8 even
if ucsd keeps the /8 up.

And one of the principal people in the network telescope project was KC, who
also weaseled herself onto the ARDC board without even holding an amateur
radio license.  Conflict of interest here, holy carp.

having a large user of the space (and perhaps even a partner to the
org)  be a part of the board doesn't seem like a conflict.

There is some question as to the legitimacy of a large allocation of this space to
CAIDA as CAIDA has virtually nothing to do with Amateur Radio.

Putting someone without an Amateur Radio License who represents such an
organization does, actually, look like a COI to me.

Don’t get me wrong… I like KC and I think CAIDA does some great stuff.

I just don’t think it serves an Amateur Radio purpose and thus doesn’t really
belong in 44.0.0.0/8.

Caida has been using an amateur radio resource as far back as 2001, when we
couldn't even be blessed to get 44net space for our own legitimate radio use.
I'm sure I have the message from Brian denying it in my archives.

I'm sure you can pursue legal avenues if you feel this went super sideways.
you should do that

I suspect that’s not unlikely, but I’m still trying to learn more about what and how
it happened first.

Owen
KB6MER