nanog mailing list archives

Re: power to the internet

From: John Lightfoot <jlightfoot () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 21:08:36 +0000

That's exactly what Powerwalls are.

In Vermont, Green Mountain Power had a deal where they bought 2000 Powerwalls and gave them to customers throughout the
state.  Customers could get up to two, paying only $1500 each for the installation and agreeing to let GMP manage them.
 GMP now has ~2.7 gWh of stored capacity, distributed throughout the state to minimize transmission costs.  In times of
high electricity spot market prices or outages, GMP draws down the Powerwalls, then refills them at night when prices
are lower.

The Powerwalls also act as a UPS for the whole house.  When bad weather is predicted in an area, GMP makes sure your
Powerwall is full.  My town had a 4+ hour outage a few weeks back and I had power the whole time, the microwave clock
didn't even reset.  I only have one Powerwall but could easily last 2+ days with it, and it's silent, unlike a
generator.

--John Lightfoot