nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 13:14:18 -0800

On 12/30/19 12:36 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
I mean it's inevitable that 5G replaces 4G. It just comes down to the spectrum the given carrier uses that dictates speed and range. In the US, AT&T and Verizon are deploying in the millimeter bands. They'll do a gig at a few hundred feet. T-Mobile is using 600 MHz, so it'll probably only do 100 megabit (based on the small channels they have), but it'll go 10+ miles through nearly anything. Sprint is in the middle. They'll be able to do hundreds of megs at miles of range.

Lower latency is another advantage of 5G.

The latency argument is what interests me. Supposedly 4G's latency and jitter are tough on voip. If that improves there is just no reason for TDM to phones which is a significant development because cell phones are probably the largest deployment of old style PSTN stuff these days as landlines wither and die. I would think that carriers would embrace that since it would be a cost-down, but I'm sure I'm wrong since that would be admit defeat to IP.

Mike