nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 23:20:23 +0300

On 27/04/2019 06:44, William Herrin wrote:
On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 7:48 PM Owen DeLong <owen () delong com <mailto:owen () delong com>> wrote: > Do you honestly believe that hijackings are being committed by ARIN members or even ARIN resource holders that have signed RSAs with ARIN?

Wasn't Softlayer (an ARIN resource holder) called out on this list about 14 hours ago for hijacking a couple /24s? And honest mistake no doubt but come on man, the hijackings happen.

I don't think the proposal is talking about valid mistakes.  The proposal is talking about active, repetitive, BGP hijacking.  If you disagree with the proposal, can you state what your proposed solution is for BGP hijacks?  What should we as a community do to prevent them from happening before some government/int'l agency mandates what they consider would be their solution?    Or do we just continue to drumbeat MANRS, post major BGP hijacks on NANOG and carry-on as we have for the past decade?

-Hank