nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 18:08:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

The intent is to clearly state that this is a violation of the policies.

The membership documents/bylaws or the RSA, your account may be closed. I looked at it when adapting the policy from RIPE to ARIN, don't have this information right in my mind, but I'm sure it was there.

Otherwise, if needed another policy should state something like "if you keep violating policies" this and that may happen. This should be something generic for *any* policy violation not in general. We have this in RIPE and LACNIC, and I'm also convinced that in APNIC and AFRINIC (still working on those versions).

Not swip'ing your IPs is also a violation of the agreement, but until you go back to ARIN for more IPs (opps, they're out), that's not an issue. I see this policy as pointless as written because it doesn't say that ARIN will take any action other than publishing an opinion. I think you're also assuming there's a pool of experts standing by willing to investigate every alleged hijacking (for free?). Maybe there are. If there aren't, or once they get tired of investigating allegations, what then?

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route