nanog mailing list archives

Re: Attacks from poneytelecom.eu

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 12:27:30 -0800

On 01/05/2018 11:38 AM, Dovid Bender wrote:
I may have to take back what I said. Yes the attacks stopped from what IP
but they magically started again from another IP of theirs in a different.
Range. seems like the attacker picked up where they left off just from a
new UP. Almost as if they told the attacker they got complaints and they
would need to just simply switch their IP to keep them as a customer......

Back when I joined a Web hosting company after the freelance-writing market collapsed, I was astonished to learn that the usual response to an abuse complaint was to move the customer to a new IP address. And the owner of the company wondered why his entire netblock was in SORBS.

So, I took over the abuse desk. Closed four accounts out of several thousand. And, lo and behold, I got the company out of SORBS. ("You've got to be kidding me! And in only six weeks!" -- NANAE contributor.)

Not only did my $DAYJOB stop being a spam source, I was able to do some things about the inflow to my customers as well.

Then there was the subpoena from the IRS, the cease-and-desist order from a major watch company, and other fun stuff. Oh, and the court order brought in by the Nevada Gaming Commission...and the hapless "expert"* they brought in to do the forensic capture of the disk image. An expert who knew NOTHING about Unix, let alone Linux.

Fun times, indeed.

I revel in my dull, dull professional life now. Lift a glass, make a toast, sing a ditty.

* X is a mathematical quantity denoting the unknown. "Spurt" is a drip of water under pressure. So an X-Spurt is an unknown drip under pressure.