nanog mailing list archives

Re: Legislative proposal sent to my Congressman

From: jim deleskie <deleskie () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:46:05 -0300

Can we please not get the government ( who's gov ) involved. I fully agree
that it will not only not help, but will make some things worse.  This is
why we can't have nice things.

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016, Anne Mitchell <amitchell () isipp com> wrote:

(Interesting and inarguably well-intentioned, and possibly even sound,
idea snipped, but noted.)

There are a handful of reasons that this will never happen (well, I'm 98%
certain it will never happen, nothing is every 100% sure when it comes to
the law, and legislation)... among them the manufacturer's lobby is much
more well-girded than is the   'home internet security' lobby;  the
cyber-security concerns of the Federal government are focussed on other
things (whether they should be or not, they are);  and for the most part
legislators are still fairly unsavvy about tech in general, and these
things make their eyes glaze over.

That said, there are already tort (negligence, etc.) laws and precedents
under which such manufacturers can be sued, along with things like breach
of contract between the manufacturer and consumer, and breach of implied
warranty of fitness for a particular purpose and breach of implied warranty
of merchantability.

A couple of winning lawsuits against manufacturers under these laws and
theories - which judges *already understand* - is, I think, not only a more
likely, but a much faster, route to industry reform.

All that said, much of this faces the same issues that spam lawsuits faced
- the people who care the most about it are not the ones who can afford to
finance such lawsuits.

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell,
Attorney at Law
Legislative Consultant
CEO/President, Institute for Social Internet Public Policy
Member, Cal. Bar Cyberspace Law Committee
Member, Colorado Cyber Committee
Member, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop Committee
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal anti-spam law)
Ret. Professor of Law, Lincoln Law School of San Jose
Ret. Chair, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop