nanog mailing list archives

Re: Legislative proposal sent to my Congressman

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon () orthanc ca>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 18:15:09 -0700

On Oct 3, 2016, at 5:39 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra () baylink com> wrote:

You're not familiar with CPSC mandatory recalls, are you?

I'm not sure how you could make the case that a compromised DVR, e.g., directly creates a risk of physical injury to a
person.  Without that, I don't see how the CPSA would apply.

But even if a mandatory recall was made under some law, how many of those devices do you think would be
returned/exchanged, realistically.  And what percentage of those devices would fall under the jurisdiction of any one
country's laws?

The only way to stop this sort of thing once and for all is to make it punitively costly to the humans at the helm of
the corporations selling this crap in the first place.  Under corporate law, this almost always means the directors.
Only when they start losing their homes/yachts/Jaguars, or start spending some quality time in jail, will this problem
go away.

Of course, this does require governments to grow some balls :-P

--lyndon