nanog mailing list archives

Re: Legislative proposal sent to my Congressman

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:24:18 -0700

On Monday, October 3, 2016, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon () orthanc ca> wrote:

In thinking over the last DDos involving IoT devices, I think we don't
have a good technical solution to the problem.  Cutting off people with
defective devices they they don't understand, and have little control over,
is an action that makes sense, but hurts the innocent.  "Hey, Grandma, did
you know your TV set is hurting the Internet?"

The way this will get solved is for a couple of large ISPs and DDoS
targets to sue a few of these IoT device manufacturers into oblivion.

--lyndon

FTC has a hand in this area

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2016/02/asus-settles-ftc-charges-insecure-home-routers-cloud-services-put