nanog mailing list archives

Re: Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3)

From: Vinny Abello <vinny () abellohome net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 07:56:25 -0400

On , Livingood, Jason wrote:
On 5/15/14, 12:49 PM, "arvindersingh () mail2tor com"
<arvindersingh () mail2tor com> wrote:

I have two issues with the comments:

2. You mention that all packets treated equally - no games.  Why does
AS7922 assign the speed test different DSCP from regular internet
connection?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Our Internet traffic, including
to speedtest web sites, is all best effort class data. Do you have more
specific information?

Jason

I think he's questioning why packets from speedtest.comcast.net have CS1 if everything is supposedly equal, and what that is used for. A quick Wireshark shows that to be true right now running to your Plainfield, NJ speedtest site, and my network peers directly with Comcast.

I'm kind of curious too. What is the purpose of this? Is it the traditional purpose of CS1 to be less than best effort or something else? If this is the case it seems Comcast would be purposely putting themselves at a disadvantage in speed tests when congestion is involved... or is this possibly on purpose to make peering problems look even worse during congestion?

-Vinny