nanog mailing list archives

Re: Carrier Grade NAT

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:41:46 +0000

On Jul 30, 2014, at 8:45 AM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

I will say that if amazon would get off the dime and support IPv6, it would make a significant difference.

Someone that works for Amazon once told me that they are primed for it now; the question is whether their customers
tick the box appropriately.

Per Microsoft public statements, they are now moving address space allocated them in Brazil to the US to fill a major
service shortfall in Azure. They’re not the only kids on the block with that problem, but are perhaps the one most
publicly reported. To my way of thinking, having services like that adopt IPv6 and tell their customers that they need
to access the service using IPv6 would go a lot farther than residential service in pushing enterprise adoption.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-anderson-siit-dc gives a fairly clever way to make it possible for the service itself
to be IPv6-only and yet provide IPv4 access, and preserve IPv4 addresses in the process. If I’m not mistaken, it’s
pretty much what Facebook and others like them have implemented, with a view to being internally IPv6-only within a
relatively short timeframe.