nanog mailing list archives

Re: Carrier Grade NAT

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:43:19 -0700

On 07/30/2014 09:16 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Corey Touchet <corey.touchet () corp totalserversolutions com> said:
Comcast is pushing over 1TBPS of IPv6 traffic, but I¹m sure that¹s mainly
video from Youtube and Netflix.

One thing to remember about the video services that do support IPv6 is
that a lot of end users, even if they have IPv6 in the home, won't see
them over IPv6.  Many people watch Netflix and such from TV-connected
devices like DVD/Blu-Ray players, "smart" TVs, Xboxes, TiVos, etc.  Many
(most?) of these devices don't support IPv6, and many never will
(because they don't get firmware updates much after release).

In the game console market, from what I could see from some quick searches, Xbox and Wii do v6, but PS4 does not. And as time goes on more things will do v6, not less. :)

The time for using "$FOO does not support IPv6, so I don't have to enable it" as an excuse is way past over.

Doug