nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 18:07:30 -0400

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
I will point out that in my experience, private roads do not tend to
be as well
maintained overall as public roads with some notable exceptions in
very wealthy
gated communities.

Ironically, I've had the opposite experience. The nearby Dulles Toll
Road, Greenway and Beltway HOT lanes are all in much better condition
than all but a few of the rest of the local roads. My buddies out at
http://hoveroad.com/ don't keep the roads in as good shape, but they
are in excellent repair for an organization that maintains 157 miles
of roads on a $1M annual budget. Vastly better than what I've seen a
municipality achieve for the same price.

Stop it, Bill.

Owen didn't say "privately owned *toll road*"; "very wealthy gated
communities" are even still rarely large enough to need their own
turnpikes.

If you keep setting up straw men, we'll be happy to knock them down for
you, but you'll end up looking a little foolish.

(A) The referenced example, the HOVE RMC, is 157 miles of privately
owned road which is neither a toll road nor a gated community.

(B) That was a private message to you and Owen. Is there a particular
reason you felt the need to add nanog back to the recipients list?

-Bill

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?