nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 19:15:14 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eugeniu Patrascu" <eugen () imacandi net>

In my neck of the woods, the city hall decided that no more fiber cables
running all over the poles in the city and somehow combined with some EU
regulations that communication links need to be buried, they created a
project whereby a 3rd party company would dig the whole city, put in some
tubes in which microfibres would be installed by ISPs that reach every
street number and ISP would pay per the kilometer from point A to point B
(where point A was either a PoP or ISP HQ or whatever; point B is the
customer).

To be clear, this is single-mode dark fiber so the ISPs can run it at
whatever speeds they like between two points.

The only drawback is that the 3rd party company has a monopoly on the
prices for the leasing of the tubes, but from my understanding this is
kept under control by regulation.

This one is a bad idea cause you have lots of people pushing fiber through
pipes with active fiber in them... and their incentives not to screw up
other people's glass are... unclear?  :-)

Oh, wait: the conduit installer isn't a contractor, they're a monopoly?

No, that's even worse.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com