nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:00:10 -0700

On Aug 4, 2014, at 10:34 PM, mcfbbqroast . <bbqroast () gmail com> wrote:

I agree with this, a monopoly is ok if the government regulates it properly
and effectively.

I'm a fan of either:

Dark fibre to every house.

Fiber to every house with a soft handover to the ISP.

The problem with soft handover is that the monopoly provider is in a place to stifle innovation and creativity by
creating a limitation on what kinds of handoffs/protocols/etc. can be supported.

All ran by an entity forbidden from retail.

Ideally a mix of both, soft handover for no thrills ISPs (reduced labour to
connect user, reduced maintenance) and dark fibre for others (reduced
costs, increased control).

I don’t mind an optional soft handover, but dark fiber MUST be a required service.

Owen