nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 09:39:09 -0700

On Aug 5, 2014, at 10:56, Eugeniu Patrascu <eugen () imacandi net> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

This one is a bad idea cause you have lots of people pushing fiber through
pipes with active fiber in them... and their incentives not to screw up
other people's glass are... unclear?  :-)

Not really, if one company starts making mistakes, the other will also
mistake their cables. It's like a working mexican standoff :)

In reality, Mexican standoffs are often fatal.

If you blink.

Oh, wait: the conduit installer isn't a contractor, they're a monopoly?
The people pushing fiber through the conduits are contractors. There are a
handful of companies licensed to operate this.

May be workable, but seems more expensive than operating cross connects in a serving wire center with little or no
plausible benefit.

So how is blowing microfibre in some tubes more expensive? You pay a one off installation fee and then a small
monthly rate for the circuit (payable yearly).

And then when you switch providers, you pay all of that again instead of a quick move of a cross connect inside a
building.

The really nice and geeky part is that you can actually choose how your fiber will run, so if you want diverse paths
to a location you can achieve that with certainty.

Not particularly important to 99.999+% of residential users.

No, that's even worse.

It's not perfect, but it works.

People say that about windows. I don't use it, either.

:) It works because it's very cheap to get high speed internet into all kinds of areas, especially residential ones.

So is what I am proposing. In fact, I'm pretty sure my proposal is cheaper, especially in the long run.