nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Vlade Ristevski <vristevs () ramapo edu>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 09:10:43 -0400

I might be misunderstanding this, but are you guys saying 10G Internet access to a tier 1 costs around $6,000 a month? I ask because I run a network for a small college and the best price I could get on 1Gbps Internet is about $5,500 a month with the fiber loop included which itself costs $2000-$2500. Or are you guys discussing a different type connection?

The quotes I got were from Cogent, Lightpath, Level 3, Verizon ($8,000) and I think even ATT a few years back. I'm out in the NJ suburbs about 30 miles from Manhattan. If there is a cheaper way to get good bandwidth, I'm all ears. We're in Mahwah , NJ.

Thanks,