nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco warranty

From: Robert Drake <rdrake () direcpath com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 00:02:35 -0400

On 4/3/2014 12:44 PM, Laurent CARON wrote:
Hi,

I bought a C3750G-12S which is now end of sale on cisco website. This device is now defective.

Since I bought it from a reseller and not directly from cisco, cisco is refusing to take it under warranty and tells me to have the reseller take care of it.

The reseller doesnt wan't to hear about this device since it is end of sale.

According to cisco website, end of sale means the device is still covered for 5 years.

These have reached a price point where a used one will cost less than a smartnet contract for one, and you get better turnaround time too.

My question is: Is it normal for my supplier to refuse to take it under warranty ?

Probably depends on the supplier. Most of them would have warranty terms of their own and if it's passed that time period then they won't take it back.

Is there (from your experience) a chance I might get cisco to deal with it ?

If you're a huge customer of Cisco and have multi-year contracts with them then sure. You could get them to RMA a toaster if they think they could make money in the long run on it.

Thanks

Laurent