nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco warranty

From: Michael Brown <michael () supermathie net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 13:26:58 -0400

On 14-04-03 12:44 PM, Laurent CARON wrote:
I bought a C3750G-12S which is now end of sale on cisco website. This
device is now defective.

Since I bought it from a reseller and not directly from cisco, cisco
is refusing to take it under warranty and tells me to have the
reseller take care of it.

The reseller doesnt wan't to hear about this device since it is end of
sale.
Did you purchase SMARTnet when you bought the device? If you didn't,
you're probably SOL.
According to cisco website, end of sale means the device is still
covered for 5 years.
This is not base warranty - this is potential coverage. Base warranty is
90 days: http://www.cisco.com/go/warranty
My question is: Is it normal for my supplier to refuse to take it
under warranty?
See above.
Is there (from your experience) a chance I might get cisco to deal
with it ?
Not likely.

Specific information for this product's EOL is here:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/eol_c51-696372.html

You'll need to have a service contract associated with the device
(SMARTnet).

Unfortunately for you, from that page:

End of New Service Attachment Date: January 30, 2014
"For equipment and software that is not covered by a service-and-support
contract, this is the last date to order a new service-and-support
contract or add the equipment and/or software to an existing
service-and-support contract."

So if you don't already have SMARTnet, you're probably out of luck.

M.

--
Michael Brown            | The true sysadmin does not adjust his behaviour
Systems Administrator    | to fit the machine.  He adjusts the machine