nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Jason Baugher <jason () thebaughers com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 19:21:53 -0600

On Feb 9, 2013 6:14 PM, "Masataka Ohta" <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
wrote:

Jason Baugher wrote:

You are seriously saying I should hire a translator to tell me what your
document says?

You don't have to, as you are not seriously interested in the
topic.

If you say so. In your own mind you obviously know far more about this
topic than anyone else. I'm shocked that you waste time trying to educate
us.

BTW, it is not my document but an article in a famous online
magazine.

There are many famous online magazines. Some have merit. That one may. Who
knows?

How about you point out a reference
written in a language common to North America, since this IS NANOG.

Feel free to do so.

You're the one making the assertion, it's not my job to help you make it.

Anyone here doing or know someone doing 4-1 or 8-1 splits, in a typical
American town? I believe most people were talking about areas <50000
population.

The figure of 3.68-1 is by NTT.

Our main cost is labor. Fiber, fdh, splitters, etc... are marginal.

You never forget labor cost.

Installing more lengthy drop cable, in addition to trunk cable,
means more labor.

Installing a bulky PON closure with splitter means more labor.

Drops from a splitter vs drops from a splice case for your SS.... Not much
difference from what I've seen.

                                                Masataka Ohta