nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei_nanog () vaxination ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 05:53:27 -0500

On 13-02-08 03:36, Masataka Ohta wrote:

The problem of PON is that, to efficiently share a fiber and
a splitter, they must be shared by many subscribers, which
means drop cables are longer than those of SS.

Pardon my ignorance here, but could you explain why the cables would be
physically different in the last mile ?

It is my understanding that the last mile of a PON and a point to point
would be indentical with individual strands for each home passed, and
then a drop between the cable and each home that wishes to connect.

Why would this be different in a PON vs Point to Point system ?

Wher I see a difference is between the neighbourhood aggregation point
and the CO where the PON system will have just 1 strand for 32 homes
whereas point to point will have 1 strand per home passed. But the
lengths should be the same, shouldn't they ?