nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 09:13:19 +0900

Jason Baugher wrote:

You are seriously saying I should hire a translator to tell me what your
document says?

You don't have to, as you are not seriously interested in the
topic.

BTW, it is not my document but an article in a famous online
magazine.

How about you point out a reference
written in a language common to North America, since this IS NANOG.

Feel free to do so.

Anyone here doing or know someone doing 4-1 or 8-1 splits, in a typical
American town? I believe most people were talking about areas <50000
population.

The figure of 3.68-1 is by NTT.

Our main cost is labor. Fiber, fdh, splitters, etc... are marginal.

You never forget labor cost.

Installing more lengthy drop cable, in addition to trunk cable,
means more labor.

Installing a bulky PON closure with splitter means more labor.

                                                Masataka Ohta