nanog mailing list archives

Re: The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 09:41:00 -0800

On 2/8/13 9:02 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
On (2013-02-08 14:15 +0000), Aled Morris wrote:

"Multicast"
I don't see multicast working in Internet scale.

Essentially multicast means core is flow-routing. So we'd need some way to
decide who gets to send their content as multicast and who are forced to
send unicast.
The market already ruled on who gets to insert MSDP state in your routers. inter-domain multicast to the extent that it exists is between consenting adults.

Which is fine, it turns out we don't need it for youtube or justin.tv to exist, and I don't need to signal into the core of the internet to make my small group conferencing app work.
It could create de-facto monopolies, as new entries to the market wont have
their multicast carried, they cannot compete pricing wise with established
players who are carried.