nanog mailing list archives

Re: The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

From: fredrik danerklint <fredan-nanog () fredan se>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 17:03:52 +0100

You really think people did not have problems with the 1mbit links they
had back then?

Yes, I do.

And you really think that we won't have problems with
Zillion-HD or whatever they will call it in another 20 years?

I think that this is something I'm trying to say, with the creation of this thread.

That works if you are only distributing Video on Demands content.
Thus the question becomes, for what would it not work?
If you also want, for example, to have the possibility to distribute
software, (static content as well), can you do that with Fussycast?

As I asked; Static content, like in files (*.zip, *.tar.gz, *.iso, etc...)

Read the documents and other related literature on that site a little
bit further: you can overcome those first couple of seconds by fetching
those 'quickly' using unicast.

Since you are back to the Unicast thing, and as you sad the problem
with the 1 Mbit/s links, I do think your question whould be:

How could we put the cache servers right next to our DSLAM:s, aggregation switches (or what ever you want to place them in your network) and have everything that's static content, cached?

I do have an suggestion for how to solve this. See my message yesterday to the mailing list.

--
//fredan