nanog mailing list archives

Re: Whois 172/12

From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 02:44:29 -0600

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM, Ted Fischer <ted () fred net> wrote:

We were supposed to have lit up the last of IPv4 last year.  I would have
presumed that meant that there was nothing left.  Since I can't find a

Not a good assumption.   There remains IPv4 address space that has not yet
been assigned to any network,  but is available for assignment.    172/12
appears to likely fall into that category.

there are - supposedly - no fresh IPv4 addresses left to allocate, and the
only reference to this block is that 172/8 is allocated to ARIN.  It
doesn't even appear in RFC 5735.

Just because ARIN does not appear to have allocated networks from 172/12
yet does not mean this address space is unavailable, not part of the free
pool, or will not be allocated from by ARIN in the future.   Just a /12 is
a very small shard of IP address space.

This is also part of a legacy /8.

My question is about 172/12.  Where is it, what is it's supposed purpose.

This falls under IP addresses that can be assigned to networks but have not
yet been recorded as assigned to any networks.

I'm almost sure it's an internal box.  I just find it better to give a
professional answer to "why can't I use this" than just "you can't use

Only the RFC1918 IP address space is reserved for use by private networks.
172/12  is not reserved by RFC, therefore portions of it that are
unallocated could
be allocated at any time.

this and why is this address scanning you for udp/137 anyway".

Something is generating packets sourced with an IP address in that range
which should not be using that source IP address.

It could be a device misconfiguration, or it could be intentional IP
address spoofing.

If someone can point out to me what was done with 172/12 I'd appreciate it.

--
-JH