nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nxdomain redirect revenue

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:32:36 -0400

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists () gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:36:51 EDT, Christopher Morrow said:

I'm curious, is there some belief that the use of hte nxdomain
hijacking/rewriting is actually of use to 'users' ?

"of use to users" is, in general, incompatible with "race to the bottom".

my point is that on the one hand the marketeers say: "This is a great
help to your users who are confused by the missing dns entries! They
like it! It is a benefit and a comfort to them!"

and on the other hand: "You will make lots of mullah from the nxdomain
rewriting! it's wonderful!"

s/mullah/moolah/ :( context switch fail.

 (plus some mumbling about, why would you want to give that money
away to the content providers of the world for free?)

-chris
(I don't believe that it's a great help, nor that customers actually
WANT it, nor that it makes great gobs of money... but I'm willing to
be educated)