nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nxdomain redirect revenue

From: Alexander Harrowell <a.harrowell () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 12:39:53 +0100

On Sunday 25 Sep 2011 04:09:22 Jimmy Hess wrote:
On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com>
wrote:
Just an fyi for anyone who has a marketing person dreaming up a big
nxdomain
redirect business cases, the stats are actually very very poor... it
does
not make much money at all.
It is very important to ask the redirect partners about yields...
meaning,
you may find that less than 5% of nxdomain redirects can be actually
served

Not to take any position on there being a "business case"  for
NXDOMAIN redirect,
or not but....    the percentage of NXdomain redirects that actually
serve ads  isn't too important.
It's absolute numbers that matter,  even if it's  just 1% of
NXDOMAINS by percent.

The rest of the 99% are referred to as "noise"  and aren't relevant
for justifying or failing
to justify.

The important number is   at what frequency the _average_  user will
encounter the redirect
while they are surfing.    If a sufficient proportion of their users
see the ads at a sufficient rate,
then they will probably justify whatever cost they have for the ad
serving.

When they are doing this crappy stuff like  redirecting google.com DNS
 to intercept
search requests;  I have little doubt that they are able to inject
sufficient volume of ads to
make some sort of  "business case"  behind the    hijacking evilness.

Regards,

--
-JH

I think a special mention should go to hardware vendors who adopt this
dreadful practice in network equipment. I recently encountered an
enterprise-grade WLAN router from vendor D that has the horrible habit
of intercepting some % of queries to its local DNS cache resolver and
forwarding to an affiliate Yahoo! search page, lousy with ads, under
vendor D's control.

This includes things like www.google.co.uk. I don't manage this device
and therefore have opened a ticket with those who do to get them to turn
the damn thing off, while in the meantime adding *.[vendor D]search.com
127.0.0.1 to my /etc/hosts.

I must admit to being tempted to "fault" it with something heavy in
order to force its replacement:-)

But if anyone from vendor-D is on the list: congratulations, you've
managed to invent a network device that is by definition untrustworthy,
and I will never buy anything from your company.

--
The only thing worse than e-mail disclaimers...is people who send e-mail
to lists complaining about them