nanog mailing list archives

Re: FTTH CPE landscape

From: Scott Helms <khelms () ispalliance net>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 13:27:38 -0400

I was speaking from the service provider perspective. If I deploy CPE to a customer, I want it to be a router, not a
bridge.

Owen

Why? What is/are the technical or marketing reason(s) that make you want to deploy routers over bridges knowing that they are more expensive? For what kinds of customers? What kinds of access networks? How much do you want to spend on CPE gear? How much remote manageability? How much customer manageability? What about mass firmware upgrades, diagnostics, and other OSS functions? (AFAIK the only standards based option for management behind a router is TR-069).

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology