nanog mailing list archives

Re: FTTH CPE landscape

From: Tom Hill <tom () ninjabadger net>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 09:59:38 +0100

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 01:23 -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
A transparent router (sorry, poor choice of terminology on my part) is
a router which doesn't NAT or become selectively opaque (firewall). In
other words, it forwards packets and it doesn't do any other arbitrary
things to them at the whim of the ISP, but, rather passes along what
the customer gives it to the ISP and vice versa without interference.

So... It's a router?

I'm confused as to why the definition "router" exists to describe a
device that NATs/selectively firewalls traffic, where "transparent
router" describes something that just routes traffic.

What?